Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Takes one to know one?

Today I went to look into an author who has captured the heart of my C.T. with her book "Hello Shoes". It's a sweet story of a boy who has a favorite pair of shoes -- sandle shoes with buckles on the sides. The shoes are needed for an outing with grandpa and they are nowhere to be found. Grandfather and grandson go in search of the shoes all around the house. Ultimately, boy and shoes are reunited and the story culminates when the boy declares he will fasten them himself (something he has never done before).

Though the book gives absolutely no reference to it, I just had this feeling that the author had lost a child. I found her book listing on amazon and then her autobiography on answers.com (I think). And sure enough - she has a deceased son.

This is not the first time I have instinctively known that someone is carrying the loss of a child..., but it is the first time I have known it without actually laying eyes on -- or connecting eyes with -- the person.

Strange,... no?

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that peculiar?
    I've often wondered about books that I've read since I lost G. I will have to start looking them up and see if I'm right. Sometimes there is just this certain tone to the words. Something I couldn't hope to describe.
    Will have to look out "Hello Shoes", it sounds sweet. xo

    ReplyDelete